Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Getting into shape

As with every New Year there is always an influx of people with the same sentiment as above, gyms suddenly become very crowded and all the celery disappears from the shops. My decision to start on this endeavor however was not fueled by the desire to achieve a New Year's resolution. My journey began last year August and I am proud to say that it has been going well :) No journey is really worth undertaking without some good company and mine is in the form of my beloved boyfriend (@ times I wonder if that was such a good idea).
Getting into shape is not just about losing those extra pounds, it's about living your life better...healthier...fitter. There are no quick fixes (much to my disappointment); it's something to strive for on a daily basis. So geared up with tons of enthusiasm and  plenty of Google acquired data we began.

Getting into the routine started out slow...any excuse was used to skip an evening of exercise. But 7 months in everything is on track and working well.
Our "programme" consists of doing a 5 day moderate workout schedule and eating healthy.
 Mondays and Wednesdays its' squash, 1 hour sessions. When we first started I wasn't too sure about the lasting power the sport would hold on me. I use to play in high school and had not touched the racquet since. Being use to playing the game with girls it was an adjustment to say the least to play with a guy. Outsiders must have thought there was a stray mouse on the court as I kept squeaking and dodging the powerful shots that came flying at me. But I'm proud to say that I have improved greatly and I now only emit the occasional squeak :) Now I actually feel out of sorts if I miss a squash day. After a long day there is nothing better than hitting the living daylights out of a ball :)

Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays are cycling days, 5km course. This activity was started on very shaky ground...I was never a big biker. But after a rough start (my thighs were anything but impressed with me) I must admit that I do enjoy it. Our bikes have been kitted out with nice bright lights and our helmets are all snug, apart from the killer mosquitoes that attack us on our rides all is well. Starting out I could barely make it up my street (in my defense my street is basically one big uphill and I'm sure anyone would have trouble) now I can make it up and beyond and I keep getting better at it ;)

With the aid of a handy little app found on the Berry App World (Calorie Counter by FatSecret) eating healthy has become easier...and more obsessive. As a rule very little junk food is allowed, but every now and again we can give in to temptation *evil smile* More greens have been added to our meals...including the wonder-veg celery. We try not to fry anything and if we must fry it is done with a little Canola Olive Oil. Our meal intake is monitored by our little wonder app to make sure that we stay within our RDI of calories for the day.

7 months later into our little journey I must say I feel a lot better :) I'm 10 kg lighter...I feel healthier and I just feel better about myself :) Definitely a journey worth taking and enjoying :)

No comments: